1. This contest shall be open to junior and senior high school students enrolled in any private or public high school and residing in the Philippines. There shall strictly be one entry per participant.
2. Entries must be submitted during the contest period: July 12 to August 31, 2019.
3. Entries will only be accepted until 11:59 PM on August 31, 2019.
4. Participants must choose from one of the five Filipino books included in the Penguin Classics roster and must write an essay about why that book remains relevant for today's generation:
• Jose Rizal's "Noli Me Tangere";
• Jose Rizal's "El Filibusterismo";
• Jose Garcia Villa's "Doveglion";
• Carlos Bulosan's "America Is in the Heart," and;
• Nick Joaquin's "The Woman Who Had Two Navels and Tales of the Tropical Gothic."
5. The essay may be written in either English or Filipino. The file must be saved in a .DOCX or PDF format with the following specifications:
• Font face – Arial
• Font size – 11
• Page margin – 1"
• Line spacing – 1.5 or 2
• No. of pages – 2 to 3 pages
6. Winners will be judged according to the following criteria with a total of 100%: style 25%, content 25%, grammar%, and creativity and originality 25%.
7. Participants must submit their essays through https://www.nationalbookstore.com/lovingpinoylit and submit their full name, e-mail address, address, contact number, school level, and name of your school (indicate ‘N/A' for homeschooled students). Participants must attach their school ID and the file of your essay and a letter from their English or Filipino teacher endorsing them and their entry in the contest.
Participants are also required to click the following check boxes:
• I certify that the essay that I submitted is my original work.
8. The judges will look for clear, concise writing that is original, articulate, logically organized, and well supported. Winning essays must demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the themes and issues presented in the book the writer selected.
9. All participants of the contest are considered to have granted National Book Store and Penguin Random House permission or license to use the essays, along with the names of the contestants, for various marketing and promotional purposes (print, TV, and digital).
10. The five (5) students shall win:
• National Book Store Gift Cards worth P10,000
• A set of Penguin Classics books with 20-25 titles for the school
11. The prizes are transferrable but not convertible to cash.
12. Winners will be announced on September 14, 2019 through National Book Store's social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and will be notified via registered mail.
13. To claim the prizes, (a) winner must present two (2) valid IDs with photo and registered mail notification. (b) For winners within Metro Manila, the prizes must be claimed at National Book Store Head Office - Marketing Department, 7th flr. Quad Alpha Centrum Building, 125 Pioneer Street Mandaluyong City. (c) For winners outside Metro Manila, the prizes must be claimed at the National Book Store branch indicated on the preferred branch. For winners 18 years old and below or who will not be able to claim their prizes, the following must be submitted upon claiming of prizes: (a) IDs of the winner and the authorized representative, (b) registered mail, and (c) authorization letter.
14. Prizes not claimed within 60 days from the receipt of notice will be forfeited in favor of National Book Store, Inc. with prior DTI approval. Redemption period is until 60 day upon receipt of the registered mail.
15. All employees of National Book Store, Inc., and Powerbooks, Inc., and their affiliates and their sister subsidiary companies, their accredited advertising agencies and suppliers and their families and relatives to the second degree of consanguinity or affinity are disqualified from participating in this promo.