National Book Store Group (“NBS” or “we”) is committed to protecting all personal information and sensitive personal information (collectively, “personal data”) that we record and collect about you. Each privacy notice sets outs the conditions under which we may process personal data that we collect from you, or that you provide to us in accordance with applicable laws and regulations on data privacy, including the Philippine Data Privacy Act of 2012 and its implementing rules and regulations. It also explains how we store, use, and delete personal data.
In processing personal data, we will ensure that it will be collected and processed lawfully and in accordance with the principles of transparency, legitimate purpose and proportionality as required by applicable laws.
Please select the Privacy Notice(s) relevant to you from those below. These Privacy Notices may be supplemented or amended from time to time. Please regularly check our website for updates.
For existing and former employees, dependents, contractors, and interns, please refer to the Privacy Notice for Employees, Contractors, Interns and their Dependents at /content/9-Privacy-Notice-1-Employees
For retail and institutional customers, visitors of NBS’ websites, members of the Laking National loyalty program, and participants of NBS’ marketing promotions or events, please refer to the Privacy Notice for Retail or Institutional Customer, Laking National Member, Visitor of an NBS Group Website, Participant of Marketing Promotion orEvent at /content/10-Privacy-Notice-2-Retail.
For individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event or undertake an assessment with NBS, please refer to the Privacy Notice for Job Applicant at /content/11-Privacy-Notice-3-Job-Applicant.
For individualbusiness partners, potential business partners and the individuals who work for and on behalf of corporate business partners and potential corporate business partners, please refer to the Privacy Notice for Business Partners at /content/12-Privacy-Notice-4-Business-Partners.
For individual lessees and individuals who work for and on behalf of lessees, please refer to the Privacy Notice for Lessees at /content/13-Privacy-Notice-5-Lessees.
Personal data refers to all types of personal information, sensitive personal information and privileged information. Personal information refers to “any information, whether or not recorded in any form, from which the identity of an individual is apparent or can reasonably and/or directly be ascertained by the entity holding the information, or, when put together with other information, would directly and certainly identify an individual”.
What we do with the information we gather
To enable us to comply with our corporate policies in relation to data subjects as well as with the requirements under the Data Privacy Act, it is important that we collect, use, store and retain your personal data only as is reasonable and necessary for a declared and specific purpose stated in the pertinent consent forms.
In general, we are using your data for any of the following purposes;
- To consider and evaluate your suitability for employment and, with your permission, inform and consider you for future job opportunities that may be of interest to you;
- To communicate with you about your employment application;
- When hired, to process your data necessary for your employment such as, but not limited to, payroll, benefits application, allowances and refunds processing, tax processing, retirement benefits, and other purposes that demand processing of your personal data (e.g., business travels, anniversaries, social activities, emergencies, and so on);
- When hired, for your performance evaluation and career development including seminars, trainings, workshops, and compliance monitoring,
- When hired, to process your data necessary to execute business transactions such as preparation and/or approval of business documents and any other functions that are directly related and/or incidental to your job and that will demand processing of your personal data; and,
- Upon separation, to process your data for the exit interview and preparation of final pay.
- For internal record keeping;
- To improve our products, services, and customers’ relation;
- For you to have a better online shopping experience;
- For you to place an order and for us to identify and contact you, verify and confirm your order;
- For you to create an NBS account and when you log-in, you will be able to:
- Store items in your shopping cart between visits,
- Proceed through checkout faster when making a purchase,
- Check the status of orders,
- View past orders,
- Make changes to your account information,
- Update your account profile, and
- Store alternative addresses (for shipping to multiple family members and friends);
- For you to provide reviews in our products and services;
- For you to subscribe/unsubscribe to our e-newsletters;
- To generate statistical insights;
- To conduct research and analysis (through surveys or polls) in order to improve customer experience/satisfaction;
- To respond to specific complaints, inquiries, requests or to provide requested information;
- To provide customer care activities, monitor our quality and security, and provide services timely and efficiently; and,
- To notify and update you (through call, text or email) about our complimentary, commercial and promotional advertisements, loyalty and rewards offers, exclusive invites, discounts, surveys, and other direct marketing that we deemed relevant and beneficial to you based on your preference and interest initially provided to us or made aware of, with which you can opt-out anytime should you prefer not to receive these notifications.
And in general:
- To comply with NBS’ obligations under law and as required by government organizations and/or agencies such as, but not limited to, the following: NPC, BIR, HDMF or Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, SSS and so on;
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements or obligations; and,
- To perform such other processing or disclosure that may be required under law or regulations.
How we collect, acquire or generate your data
We collect data when you:
- Fill-up our forms: Create your Account form
- Encode your data in our applications: Laking National log-ins
What we collect
We collect information to provide you with details and information regarding our product, services, and promotions. We process information also to respond to your enquiries or manage future interactive user function. The common type of data collected by NBS from you, generally includes the following:
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- E-mail Address
- Contact Information
- Demographic Information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
For the exhaustive list of cookies we collect see the List of cookies we collect section.
How we protect your personal data
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
- We keep and protect your personal data using a secured server behind a firewall, deploying encryption on computing devices and physical security controls.
- We restrict access to your personal data only to qualified and authorized personnel who hold your personal data with strict confidentiality.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign-off when finished using a shared computer.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website. Refer to Annex B on the list of Cookies registered on this website.
For you to fully enjoy your visit and browsing experience, only non-identifiable web traffic data are collected and analyzed, including:
- Your internet protocol (IP) address,
- The search terms you used,
- The pages and internal links accessed on our site,
- The date and time you visited the site, including frequency of visits,
- Your operating system, and
- Web browser type.
Use the options in your web browser if you do not wish to receive cookies or you wish to set your browser to notify you when you receive cookies. Click on the "Help" section of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you disable all cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features of this website.
Third Party Website Policy and Links to other Website
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
The Website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties ("Third Party Websites"). National Book Store does not endorse, or approve of the operators of Third Party Websites, or the information, graphics and material on those Third Party Websites ("Third Party Material").
Subject to any applicable law which cannot be excluded, National Book Store makes no warranties or representations:
- Regarding the quality, accuracy, merchantability or fitness for purpose of Third Party Material or products or services available through Third Party Websites; or
- That Third Party Material does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any person. National Book Store is not authorizing the reproduction of Third Party Material by linking Material on this Website to Third Party Material.
All offers to sell and statements relating to goods and services available on Third Party Websites are the responsibility of and given by the Third Party Website operator. In so far as such offers and statements are made on the Website, such offers and statements are made by National Book Store on behalf of the operator. National Book Store expressly disclaims acting in any other respect on behalf of Third Party Website operators.
National Book Store may receive payments from operators of Third Party Websites in relation to goods or services supplied by the operator as a result of you linking to the Third Party Website from this Website.
We use third party service providers for the sole propose of the provision of services to us in connection with the website.
We have made all required notifications and obtained all required consents and authorizations from website visitors and end user customers relating to the disclosure of personally identifiable information to a third party service provider.
Who we share your personal data with?
As a general rule, we are not allowed to share your data to third party except in limited circumstances as listed below.
By giving your consent, you authorize NBS to disclose your personal data to accredited/affiliated third parties or independent/non-affiliated third parties, whether local or foreign in any of the following circumstances:
- The use or disclosure is reasonably necessary, required or authorized by or under law (such as for criminal investigation, as requested by court of law).
This means we might provide your personal data to the following:
- Our affiliates, subsidiaries, partner companies, organizations, or agencies including their sub-contractors or prospective business partners that act as our service providers and contractors;
- Law enforcement and government agencies;
NBS is very sensitive to privacy issues and it is especially careful in its communications with children. NBS would never directly collect personal data from children without the parent's consent.
Personal data pertaining to children and collected from their parents is used by NBS or other entities that provide technical fulfillment or other services to NBS (for example, services intended to improve our services/web sites, and fulfilling requests or administering promotions). These personal data are not sold.
Meanwhile, we urge parents to regularly monitor and supervise their children's on-line activities.
Where and how long do we keep your personal data?
All data are preserved in accordance with the following retention standards:
- If the data subject has an existing contract and transaction with NBS, the information will be retained all throughout the contract period and 10 years after its completion.
- If the data subject has no existing contract but has existing transaction with NBS, the information will be retained during the transaction and 5 years after its fulfillment.
- If the data subject has no existing contract and transaction with NBS, the information will be retained for a period of 2 years.
Personal data are stored in our facilities located in the Philippines and are retained in accordance with the above parameters, industry standards, laws and regulations, unless you request that your personal data be deleted from our systems, databases and hardcopies immediately. Once deleted, your personal data will no longer be searchable or included in anonymous searches and will be completely removed from all the storage location.
The Data Privacy Officer may, however, choose not to grant access or correct information based on the request following laws and regulations. He/she will give the individual a written notice that sets out the reason for the refusal.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes;
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com; or
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
Data Protection Officer
2/F Quad Alpha Centrum Building
125 Pioneer Street Mandaluyong City
02-6318061 to 66
You may also lodge a complaint before the National Privacy Commission (NPC). For further details, please refer to NPC’s website:https://privacy.gov.ph/mechanics-for-complaints/.
Any action to a request for correction, erasure and/or objection to process your personal data as it appears in our records is subject to applicable laws and/or the DPA, its IRR and other issuances of NPC.