Privacy Notice for Retail or Institutional Customers, Laking National Members, Visitors of an NBS Group Website, Participants of Marketing Promotions or Events
This Privacy Notice provides information regarding the processing of your personal data when using services and/or purchasing products from the National Book Store Group (“NBS” or “we”) whether as a retail customer, whether in a brick-and-mortar store or online store, institutional customer, a visitor of an NBS website, a caller of or sender of a message to any NBS hotline, a member of the Laking National loyalty program, and/or a participant of an NBS marketing promotion and/or event.
This Privacy Notice explains what personal data is collected and processed, for which purposes, how long we hold the personal data, who we share your personal data with, how to access and update your personal data, your rights as data subject and where to go for further information.
What personal data do we process?
We collect and process information, including personal data about you, as retail customer, whether in a brick-and-mortar store or online store, institutional customer, a visitor of an NBS website, a caller of or a sender of a message to any NBS hotline, a member of the Laking National loyalty program and/or a participant of an NBS marketing promotion and/or event. This information may be either information that you provide to us, information that we obtain through your use of NBS services and/or information about your participation In the Laking National Card loyalty program or any NBS marketing promotion or event.
- These include personal information and sensitive personal information as follows:
- Full Name
- Home Address
- E-mail address
- Tax Identification Number
- Contact Numbers
- Job Title / Position / Designation for representatives of institutional customers
- Date of Birth
- Bank Account Name and Number
- Marital Status
- School Identification Number
Whenever you visit an NBS website, we may collect information such as purchase history (i.e., specific products you buy, the total amount of your purchases per transaction, the time and place of the purchases you make and the payment method you use), electronic device information, IP addresses, log information, browser type and preferences, location information, and online identifiers to enable “cookies” and similar technologies.
We only process your personal data:
- With your explicit consent; or
- Where it is necessary to conclude a transaction with you such as delivery or payment information; or
- Where it is necessary for NBS to comply with a legal obligation.
Where the processing is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the validity of the processing prior to the withdrawal of consent. Where you choose not to provide us with information set out above for the purposes of using the NBS website or participating in the Laking National loyalty program or any marketing promotion or event, your ability to fully navigate the NBS website and/or to participate in the Laking National loyalty program or any marketing promotion or event will be affected.
What do we do with the information we gather?
We collect, use, keep, share or otherwise process your personal data for one or more of the following purposes:
- For you to have a better store and online shopping experience;
- For you to place an order and for us to identify and contact you, verify and confirm your order;
- For you to create an NBS account and when you log-in, in order for you to be able to:
- Store items in your shopping cart between visits
- Proceed through checkout faster when making a purchase
- Check the status of orders
- View past orders
- Make changes to your account information
- Update your account profile
- Store alternative addresses (for shipping to multiple family members and friends);
- For account management including account verification;
- For you to provide reviews of our products and services;
- To improve our products, services, and relationship with you;
- To respond to specific complaints, inquiries, requests or to provide requested information;
- To provide customer care activities, monitor the quality of our goods and services and security, and provide services timely and efficiently;
- To locate the designated shipping address of the customer for the order delivery;
- To register dedicated customers in the Laking National loyalty program system to earn and redeem points for every purchase at NBS;
- To process credit card payments, verification of credit card holder and post sales;
- To keep a record as a reference of the customer inquiries on orders, availability check and upcoming products;
- To draw winners in raffle event or promotion and communicate with such winners;
- For internal record keeping and standard business practices and purposes;
- To generate statistical insights;
- To enroll and maintain the records of the customer in NBS’ enterprise system;
- To conduct statistical, historical or scientific research and studies;
- To transfer personal data to an archive;
- To comply with NBS’ obligations under law and as required by government organizations and/or agencies;
- To protect our rights or property in the event of a claim or dispute;
- To assist in any investigation in the event of a health, safety, or security incident, suspected or actual criminal activity.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements or obligations; and
- To perform such other processing or disclosure that may be required under law or regulations.
If you have consented to receive marketing communication from NBS, you may receive newsletters, offers and communications of products, loyalty and rewards offers, discounts, upcoming events and promotions. You may also receive exclusive invites for events, polls, surveys and other direct marketing that we deem relevant and beneficial to you based on your preference, interest, and other data that you have provided to us. You may opt out of the processing of your personal data for this purposes at any time.
How we collect, acquire or generate your data?
- When you fill-out the following:
- Laking National Registration Form;
- Customer accreditation form;
- Registration forms in events;
- Shipping/delivery information form online or through any of our hotline numbers;
- Raffle entry coupons;
- When you enter our stores and your movement within the stores is captured by surveillance cameras (CCTV);
- When you provide your credit card for payment and the transaction slip is generated for our processing;
- When you call or message any of our hotlines and you provide your personal information as a reference for your inquiry or order;
- When you respond to our surveys, polls, or questionnaires;
- When you provide testimonials or ratings in our websites;
- When you contact us or communicate with use through our website/s, email, phone, social media platforms, or other methods of inquiry or communication, including your feedbacks, ratings, and complaints;
- When you sign-up and subscribe to our newsletter through our website; and
- When you submit the following requirements for accreditation as institutional customer or registration with the Laking National loyalty program:
- Any government valid identification cards
- SEC or DTI Registration
- BIR 2303 Certificate of Registration
How we protect your personal data?
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
- We keep and protect your personal data using a secured server behind a firewall, deploying encryption on computing devices and physical security controls.
- To the extent that certain information are not digitized, we keep and protect your information by keeping them out of sight of unauthorized personnel and third parties and kept in a locked receptacle as soon as possible.
- We restrict access to your personal data only to qualified and authorized personnel who hold your personal data with strict confidentiality.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your Laking National Card, your password and/or to your computer or gadget. Be sure to sign-off when finished using a shared computer.
How and who we share your personal data with?
As a general rule, we are not allowed to share your data to a third party except in limited circumstances as listed below. Personal data will only be shared on a strict need to know basis and solely to complete the process for the purposes mentioned above with the following:
- NBS affiliates and subsidiaries;
- Authorized third party partners, service providers and/or subcontractors that may supply products and/or services to customers, such as cloud storage providers and logistics service providers;
- Authorized service providers involved in mobile payment or digital payment platforms (such as PayMaya, GCASH or Globe Rewards);
- Authorized publishers and vendors participating in NBS events, promos and raffle draws;
- With your express consent;
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to enforce our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, and safeguard, deter, and investigate against illegal, fraudulent, or unauthorized actions in relation to the business of NBS or use of the NBS websites; and
- Government, regulatory authorities or agencies where it is necessary to comply with legal or regulatory obligation, as required or authorized by or under the law.
Organizational, contractual and legal measures have been implemented to safeguard your personal data and ensure that adequate levels of protection are followed when transferring personal data within NBS or to authorized third party partners, service providers, subcontractors and/or government,regulatory authorities or agencies. Non-disclosure and data sharing agreements with the secured data transfer mechanisms are executed to ensure compliance with the applicable laws and regulations and set measures.
NBS is very sensitive to privacy issues and it is especially careful in its communications with children. NBS will never directly collect personal data from children under the age of 18 without the parent's consent.
Meanwhile, we urge parents to regularly monitor and supervise their children's on-line activities.
How we protect your personal data?
All personal data relevant with NBS customers will be retained following the standards below:
- Customers with existing contract and/or registration and have transactions with NBS - the information will be retained all throughout the contract period and 10 years after the termination of the contract (e.g., information relating to Laking National loyalty program membership, customer accreditation for institutional customers, account registrations on our websites, etc.).
- Customers with no existing contract and/or registration but have existing transactions with NBS - the information will be retained for 5 years after fulfillment of the transactions (e.g., customer credit card payment slip, information on winners of raffle draws, etc.)
- Customers with no existing contract and/or registration and transaction with NBS - the information will be retained for a period of 2 years from the date it was provided to NBS.
Your personal data are retained in accordance with the above said parameters, industry standards, laws and regulations, unless you request that your personal data be deleted from our systems, databases and hard copies immediately. Once deleted, your personal data will no longer be searchable or included in anonymous searches and will be completely removed from all storage locations.
How can I access my personal data?
Personal data of customers can be accessed through the following:
- Logging in the NBS website at https://www.nationalbookstore.com/and accessing their accounts; or
- Calling or sending a message to our Data Protection Officer.
The Data Privacy Officer may, however, choose not to grant access or correct information based on the request following laws and regulations. He/she will give the individual a written notice that sets out the reason/s for the refusal.
What are your rights as a Data Subject?
The following are your rights as a Data Subject and our legal obligations with respect to your information:
- The Right to be Informed
- The Right to Access
- The Right to Object
- The Right to Erasure of Blocking
- The Right to Rectify
- The Right to Data Portability
- The Right to File a Complaint with the National Privacy Commission
- The Right to Damages
The rights mentioned are not applicable if personal data are processed only for scientific and statistical research purposes, and without being used as basis for carrying out any activity or taking any decision regarding you as the data subject. Your rights as a data subject are also subject to other limitations provided by law.
The law requires you to exercise your rights as described in this Privacy Notice in a reasonable and non-arbitrary manner, and with regard to rights of other parties.
Can I control my personal information?
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill out a form, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes; or
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
Who can I contact for more information?
To exercise your rights, which include right to access, modify, erase and object to processing your personal data, within a reasonable time after such request or should you have any inquiries, feedbacks on this Privacy Notice, and/or complaints, you may reach us through our “Contact Us” menu in this website, through a written letter or through an email to our Data Protection Officer (DPO).
Our contact details are as follows:
- Data Protection Officer
- 2/F Quad Alpha Centrum Building
- 125 Pioneer Street Mandaluyong City
- 02-6318061 to 66
You may also lodge a complaint before the National Privacy Commission. For further details, please refer to the National Privacy Commission’s website: https://privacy.gov.ph/mechanics-for-complaints/.
Any action to a request for correction, erasure and/or objection to process your personal data as it appears in our records is subject to applicable laws and/or the Data Privacy Act, its Implementing Rules and Regulations and other issuances of the National Privacy Commission.
NBS may revise this Privacy Notice as the need arises or when dictated by issuances of the National Privacy Commission or any amendment to the Data Privacy Act. Any change to this Privacy Notice shall be duly posted in this website and will take effect immediately. Data subjects are encouraged to periodically check for such updates. Changes shall not be retroactively applied and will not alter how we handle personal data previously collected without obtaining your consent, unless required by law.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's or gadget’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or gadget or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us pursuant to this Privacy
Notice. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website. Refer to Annex B on the list of Cookies registered on this website.
For you to fully enjoy your visit and browsing experience, only non-identifiable web traffic data are collected and analyzed, including:
- Your internet protocol (IP) address,
- The search terms you used,
- The pages and internal links accessed on our site,
- The date and time you visited the site, including frequency of visits,
- Your operating system, and
- Web browser type.
Use the options in your web browser if you do not wish to receive cookies or you wish to set your browser to notify you when you receive cookies. Click on the "Help" section of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you disable all cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features of this website.
Third Party Website Policy and Links to another Website
Our websites may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our sites, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this Privacy Notice. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Our websites may contain links to other websites operated by third parties ("Third-Party Websites"). NBS does not endorse or approve of the operators of Third-Party Websites, or the information, graphics and material on those Third-Party Websites ("Third Party Material").
Subject to any applicable law which cannot be excluded, NBS makes no warranties or representations:
- Regarding the quality, accuracy, merchantability or fitness for purpose of Third Party Material or products or services available through Third Party Websites; or
- That Third Party Material does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any person. NBS is not authorizing the reproduction of Third Party Material by linking Material on this Website to Third Party Material.
When you follow a link on our websites, material at a Third Party Website may be displayed in your browser framed by material on our websites. This material is also Third Party Material.
All offers to sell and statements relating to goods and services available on Third Party Websites are the responsibility of and given by the Third Party Website operator. In so far as such offers and statements are made on our websites, such offers and statements are made by NBS on behalf of the operator. NBS expressly disclaims acting in any other respect on behalf of Third-Party Website operators.
NBS may receive payments from operators of Third Party Websites in relation to goods or services supplied by the operator as a result of you linking to the Third Party Website from our websites
We use third party service providers for the sole propose of the provision of services to us in connection with our websites
We have made all required notifications and obtained all required consents and authorizations from website visitors and end user customers relating to the disclosure of personally identifiable information to a third party service provider.
What are the cookies we collect?
The table below lists the cookies we collect and what information they store. RECENTLY COMPARED Items recently compared by the shopper.